Wednesday 23 May 2012

Mission Accomplished - Sydney twin minding

I'm back in NZ now (from my month of babysitting for my son and his wife in Sydney) in a more peaceful household, with very little washing and healthy sleep patterns.  We also have a working oven and dishwasher, so I feel a bit lucky about that. I appreciate that my husband and I can still forage for salad veges in our garden and hang our clothes out in the sun to dry - but it's very chilly at nights here compared to Sydney, and neighbourhood walks are nowhere near as exciting as Kings Cross!

It was sad saying goodbye to little Rose and Mario Junior, but I don't worry about them as they are part of a strong little family and have their dad at home now for the next 11 weeks. And I have a month's worth of cuddles and nice memories to savour, and a good feeling about having helped in some way. It was time I broke up my relationship with the bottle too... the bleach bottle that is. I got a bit obsessive during the days in Sydney, washing the floors and wiping the surfaces the twins could reach!

29 years ago ago, when my boy was 5 months old I returned to work, and my husband Mario stayed home for two years to mind him. For six months of that time we had set up a coffee shop business, and my parents babysat during the days.

In less than three  months the twins other grandmother, Bev, (Nana B) will arrive to take over their daycare; what a lucky pair they are! So it is true, patterns repeat, and many families like ours come up with these ways of caring for children and sharing the load. Each carer brings something a  little different and special to the mix, and I reckon they benefit from this in the long run.

And, in the meantime, Mario Senior and I are already plotting for a time when we can bring the twins over to NZ for a holiday - to run barefoot and forage for berries and tomatoes in the garden, and splash around down at Tahunanui beach, just like their dad used to love doing.  

Lizzie (Nana E)

2 comments:

  1. I'm reminded of the last few minutes of Don Corleone in The Godfather, playing with his grandson amongst the tomato plants. Didn't finish well for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm having a great time looking after them, but I haven't bleached anything yet!

    ReplyDelete