Tuesday 1 May 2012

Day 6 - Minding twins; dogged determination required

We started off okay. I popped out early to walk the dog - a complex little pomeranian/chihuahua individual called Calvin. Once the parents had gone to work I gave the twins their breakfast. While they were having their morning nap I had a burst of energy and washed the downstairs floors and stairs. I rummaged in the toy box and brought out some new stuff because I'm bored with the same things every day. About then I realised that the dog was sick. He'd thrown up some sticky yellow stuff, then some brown stuff and similar liquids were coming out the other end as well. Luckily he'd done all this on the balcony. The twins were waking up and I couldn't bear to contaminate their newly hygienic play-space so I tied him up outside until I had time to clean up.

Mario did his best ever attempt at crawling this morning; he got his round tummy off the floor and started going forwards instead of sideways. Unfortunately Calvin barked incessantly while we played; I ducked out and washed down the balcony before setting off for a walk with the twins in the stroller. I guess that's the trouble with apartment living, a sick dog can't just run off into the garden and get over it...

We went all the way up Victoria Street to Oxford Street and explored the Surry Hills area. Mario slept and missed the whole outing, as usual. I stopped at the park opposite the Jewish Museum for a picnic with Rose. I'd bought a lemon and walnut cookie and Rose happily gummed her way through a rice rusk. That little girl just loves her picnics.
When I got home Calvin had produced another round of excretions. I plonked the twins into the high chairs and took him for a quick run around the courtyard then I tied him up outside while I washed down the balcony again. Shut him out there again, with some fresh water (didn't dare feed him). More incessant barking followed.
Mario had woken up grumpy and dribbling excessively. He's just got his first tooth, but it looks like another one  might be coming through. Rose was in a cry-baby kind of mood by then and also dribbling. They didn't seem to notice the interesting different toys or spotlessly clean floor. And poor Calvin was getting on all our nerves. I called up some reggae music on YouTube and luckily my dancing had them both in giggles in no time. By the time Kate got home I'd just managed to get their dinner into them and the dog had stopped leaking. Finished the day off with a large glass of red wine.

  

4 comments:

  1. Love hearing all about your twin experiences!! Hope the dog feels better. Kerenx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keren! After all that they both slept through the night, so that was a bonus. xx

      Delete
  2. Wow, sounds like a challenging and exhausting day. I love the thought of you dancing to the reggae music. I hope the twins enjoyed the music as much as Matanga does. Pity about Calvy, I hope he is feeling better now.

    Thanks so much for these descriptions - it is great to know how you're getting on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you suggest 3 reggae favourites for teething music please? I was thinking of some blues numbers for today. They seemed to dislike Latin jazz and need a strong beat.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete