Thursday 24 November 2011

Quilt-Essentials


We went to the Recycling Centre and dived headfirst into the fabrics and linen bin. Found lots of clean, newish sheets, pillow cases and beautiful old tablecloths in good cotton fabrics. I tried to choose retro looking patterns and plain colours and eventually decided on a bag full for only ten dollars.

That was about two months ago; since then I have been crazy-busy washing, ironing, cutting, designing, piecing and quilting them into covers. I haven't used patterns; just ideas that seemed to suit each one. They are all so different, and they each have their own personality. So I have given them names - Aroha, Cosmo, Bella and so on.

The great news is that two local shops want to stock them. Five of my 'babies' have gone to Black Cat Vintage, in Annesbrook Drive, and three have found a nice shelf at Madcat in Founders. (What is it about cats and retro-vintage shop names?) I hope people buy them, because then I can make more...

It's what quilting was supposed to be about - reinventing, or up-cycling fabrics into something new and beautiful. Its fun to be creating again - especially with the lovely view out over my trusty old sewing machine of the mountains and the sea.

Lizzie

1 comment:

  1. Update: Three of my quilts have sold and found good homes, in Melbourne, Nelson and Auckland.

    I am going to make the next two entirely in black and white (perhaps a little silvery grey as well) and I have been collecting interesting prints. They are for twins, in Sydney - my grandchildren actually. I can't wait to visit them in April. But first I have to get their quilts designed, made and quilted.

    ReplyDelete