Thursday 24 March 2016

Capturing the Cuzzies

It just so happens that I've been to a few family gatherings lately. I've kind of 'rediscovered' cousins that I haven't seen for years, and met a few I'd forgotten about completely. Coming back from one such event I tried, with mixed success, to list them all from A to Z, and to remember which aunt or uncle they relate to.

This exercise has prompted some interesting conversations. I've trawled early childhood memories and tried to remember who the hell was in the room when we did those Sunday visits.

Naomi (one of my cousins) got me into Geni - one of those online family tree things, it has helped a lot, and it's free: 
https://www.geni.com

The oldest generation in our families has now passed on, and I've just realised that we are now the oldest generation. We are the ones who are supposed to know these things - stuff about who we are, where we came from, and how we all connect. It's a big responsibility, perhaps stronger in some cultures than others (Maori, Italian)? 

It probably only dawns on people like me to make more of an effort once they are over fifty.

Lizzie

1 comment:

  1. That's an interesting point about suddenly being the responsible generation for passing down information. It's sort of ironic that we now have a seemingly endless supply of photos of everyone's day to day life (with a quick FB search) but we might be missing easy to find records of some important info like family trees.

    ReplyDelete