Monday 23 April 2012

Day 2 - Sydney, minding twins

I asked their mum, Kate, to leave me some notes, with rough times for naps and meals.  The morning went well - mushy breakfast, nap, playtime. I even managed to pop upstairs and get a load of washing through. I was aware of their big eyes following my moves, watching me carefully. They giggled and glanced at each other occasionally, and seemed relaxed and happy playing on the floor. For seven months old both Mario and Rose are good with their hands and move around well, although not really crawling yet.

We lost the plot a bit after lunch with some fierce resistance to the afternoon nap. Rose definitely wasn't going to sleep, then Mario starting sobbing melodramatically. After an hour of angst I got them back up from their hell-no-definitely-not-nap and tried the stroller. The rain had stopped so we went out for a long walk around Potts Point and Kings Cross. They slept the whole time.

Rose and Mario taking a nap
I'm not sure the stroller and I are going to be friends. Its a big clumsy thing and while the twins are well cushioned in it I think I may need to read the manual. Anyway, by the time their parents got home I'd managed to get through the list; just not quite in the right order. And, I'd learnt a few things:
1. You can't get upstairs carrying both babies at the same time
2. People stare at twins
3. Supermarket trolleys and strollers have dysfunctional front wheels in common
4. You have to pre-empt hunger and tiredness (theirs and yours)
5. You can't give them bottles at the same time, so you have to feed one and sing to the other


















 






  

No comments:

Post a Comment