Thursday 5 December 2013

London


I reckon I've acclimatised already. Only 5 layers of clothing under my coat now, not 7 - and I've stopped sniggering at place names like 'Cockfosters' and signs that say 'Hump for 50 yards' (although I'm still a bit puzzled about that).

Cold, but not freezing
When I pay for things I no longer keep the shopkeeper waiting while I puzzle my way through the unfamiliar coins and pale coloured bank notes that all look the same. Why do they have a 10p that is twice the size of the 20p, I wonder?

Last night we visited friends in Surbiton and, after a great catch-up and Indian takeaways for dinner, we managed to make our way back very late at night on a train then a tube then a bus. I always keep my Oyster card close to my heart, it's very reassuring.

I'm loving the crowds, the diversity and all the little independent shops and markets around Islington. I even enjoy wandering around Waitrose and exclaiming about all the pre-cooked meals on offer. The Christmas windows are amazing too.

John Lewis windows - bear made from luggage
Animals made from appliances

We got a real Christmas tree the other day and lugged it back to the flat, then bought some lights and decorations from one of those funny little cheap-everything shops (but managed to resist the pine-scent spray they offered). Christmas certainly seems to fit better in a Winter context.
Visiting shiny, happy people

Tonight I'm off to the local pub, Hops and Glory, for dinner with my daughter. They have board games apparently, and it's always nice and warm in pubs. Could it get any better than this?!

Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment